February 20, 2012

The List of Favorites

While there is no breed that I dislike, I do have favorites and a long list of breeds I would love to own. Here is a shortened list of my top 10 dog breeds. Everyone has their own personal preference for what type of dog they want and I respect that. If we all loved and needed the same characteristics there wouldn't be nearly the incredible variety of breeds we have today. Overall I'm most drawn to medium and large sized breeds. I like the weight range of 35-65 lbs or so. I also have a thing for ears. Dog ears make me very happy so the fuzzier, floppier, or bigger, the better!

Fluffy dogs are very appealing to me. If it wasn't for the drool I would absolutely love to have Newfoundlands. I can deal with fur everywhere but drool hanging from the ceiling is too gross for me. They are very large dogs but tend to be very mellow and calm.

 
Newfoundland
newfoundlanddog.com

Northern breeds with their little fox ears, curled tails, and thick fur have always been favorites of mine. Siberian huskies, Shiba Inus, and Karelian Bear Dogs are my top picks with huskies being one of my all-time favorite dogs (as if you hadn't guessed). Shibas are one of the very few small breeds that I adore. Bear Dogs can be quite intense and may not best for family life.

Siberian husky
doggies.com
Shiba Inu
flickr.com/photos/cedrick2611
Karelian Bear Dog
runningbeardog.com
Next up are gundogs, specifically pointers. They have always appealed to me. I really like their structure, and I can't get enough of their floppy ears! German Shorthaired Pointers ("GSP" for short) are one of the first breeds on my list of favorite dogs after Siberian huskies. The Hungarian Vizsla also makes the list.
German Shorthaired Pointer
mypetla.com
Hungarian Vizsla
pagliaccidogs.com

The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver ("Toller" for short) is another gundog I love. Beautiful dogs and I love their medium size.
Toller
justdogbreeds.com

Next we have the saluki. I love speed and these dogs were built for it. They are tied for second on my list with GSPs.

Saluki
salukis.topcharty.net
Saluki
greatdogsite.com

Up next, the Cardigan Welsh corgi. Along with the Shiba Inu it's one of the only small dogs that I just can't get enough of. I prefer the cardigan to the pembroke because I like the tails! Cardigans are right up there on my list after GSPs and Salukis.

Corgi
thecorgisite.com
Corgi
thecorgisite.com

Finally, we have the Belgian Malinois. I would definitely do schutzhund or other protection sports if I had one. I love the work drive and they are wonderful dogs. Oh, and of course those big ears are something I love!

Belgian Malinois
dogsonline.com

Belgian Malinois
There we have it. Newfoundlands excluded due to drool factor, my favorite breeds are Siberian huskies, GSPs and Salukis tied for second, and then Cardigan Welsh Corgis.

No comments:

Post a Comment