March 28, 2012

Snake!

I've lived in San Diego for 2 and 1/2 years and today was the first time I saw a snake. The area is known to have rattlesnakes so I've always been cautious.

We were biking to the dog park and right before we arrive there is a sharp 180* turn that is also very steep. I was pedaling hard as usual and the dogs were getting very excited to be at the park. Halfway around the corner I saw a very long snake. I shouted "WOAH!!" and slammed the brakes, barely missing the snake. I have no idea how I stopped in time. The dogs ran right by it without even noticing it, and even once stopped they continued trying to go forward since we were so close to the park. I immediately looked at the tail and was relieved to see the lack of a rattle. Thank goodness for that! I dismounted to snap a couple pics with my cell phone.

Despite having been almost run over, and Denali most definitely stepped over it, it just laid there. I considered for a moment that it may have been dead. After getting a couple pictures I gently pushed my foot against its tail to see if it was alive. It slithered forward a couple inches. Ok, alive. I prodded it again to get it off the trail. Another couple inches. Not working. I kicked a little dirt at it and it bolted into the brush. Live long and prosper, Mister (or Miss) snake!


My feet are women's size 9-10 for reference, so I guess the snake was about 5 feet long. Right behind my leg is my bike which is leaning against the fence, and the snake's nose is less than a foot away from the fence on that side. It's almost the entire width of the path!


After getting home I looked up California snake species I think it's a San Diego gopher snake. If anyone has a better guess let me know!

Click to enlarge
www.californiaherps.com

Click to enlarge
www.californiaherps.com

No comments:

Post a Comment