November 25, 2012

Zebulon's Weight Loss

My oh my. I was looking through old pictures of the cats and came across this one of Zebulon from November 2009, when he was only a year and a half old.
Click to Enlarge

Look at how chubby he was!! One nickname he's had is Pear-Shaped Cat for the way he looks when sitting. At his top weight he was about 16 lbs. Ideal for him is about 10 lbs. He was 6 lbs overweight for his entire adult life. That means about 30% of his weight was excess.

Until this year.

This year, my new year's resolution was to put the cats on a raw diet. The goals were overall improved health, including getting Zeb to lose the extra weight.

After guffawing at the old picture I took this one. November 2012, three years later. He now weighs about 12 lbs. Amazing what losing 4 lbs can do to a cat!
Click to Enlarge

I still hope to have him lose a couple more lbs. He still has a bit of extra. As with humans, excess weight can cause a lot of health issues. Diabetes, joint problems, trouble breathing, more strain on the heart. You can't control genetic predispositions, but you can control diet and weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment