August 27, 2013

Shelter Journal 8/27/13

I went to the shelter last Thursday but lost my list of dogs I had out, and I've been very busy since coming back from vacation and didn't get to posting while the dogs were fresh in my mind.

I remember best two puppies I had out last. I saw a young male rottweiler mix. Found as a stray and it was his last day before he'd be available for adoption. He was scared. I went slow, spent some time in his kennel, and once out he slowly warmed up. A volunteer said there was another dog that looked just like him. She brought out a female, who appeared pregnant, but otherwise looked just like him. I went and talked to staff and they were brought in together. They both looked to be about 6-7 months old and there was no note of the female being pregnant. Staff wrote in a note, and the dogs were to be looked at that afternoon anyway. If pregnant, the puppies will be removed. It is very dangerous for a young dog to be pregnant and give birth. It is also assumed that the male is her brother and he could potentially be the father. Even if he isn't, any random dog could be, including a dog that could be much bigger than her and that is also dangerous. For her own health and safety the pregnancy can't be allowed to continue. I asked if we could have the dogs play together, and it was approved. We only them together about 5-10 minutes before I had to go but they clearly recognized each other and were glad to see each other. Both relaxed.

I do think the dogs are mixed because they are mis-marked for rottweilers with patches of gold and white. They are also small. They have adult teeth and act and look like puppies which would put them at the 6-7 month range but they're 40 lbs and don't have very big feet. Small for pure rotties.. their tails are docked so maybe they're oddly bred.
Male
 



Female
Female & Male
Female & Male
Male
Photo from SDDAC
Today I started with Georgia [PF link], a high energy Dutch Shepherd mix. She was jumpy and mouthy so I popped a ball in her mouth for her to carry. Worked like a charm! She never stops moving. She loves to chase toys but doesn't really pick them up or fetch. She does know sit pretty well. Needs to learn impulse control and some manners but otherwise is a fantastic dog.
Photo from Petfinder
Photo from Petfinder
Photo from SDDAC

Next, Bruno [no PF link], an very tall old man who still has a lot of pep in his step! A bit arthritic in his back legs and a little wobbly if he turns too quickly but he was still chasing after toys and enjoys short walks.

Photo from SDDAC
Timmy was on my list but he's on the neuter list- Good news for Timmy! He's been adopted!! I helped him get his photo taken about a month ago. Since then he was starting to really, really hate his kennel. Once out he was great but when you enter his kennel he jumps and grabs and digs his claws in, nips and mouths hard, and is not fun to try to get a leash on. Awesome dog when out! And then he plants his feet and refuses to go back in his kennel.. once in the jumping and nipping starts immediately. I'm so glad he's getting out and he can relax and not be so stressed.
Photo from SDDAC
Next was Princess [PF link]. She's extremely sweet, and overly submissive with her plops and flops. She walked well on leash. In the yard she was playful, calm, mellow, loves to be petted and brushed, and would have random spazzes of happy puppy joy where she would run around. Wonderful girlie.
Photo from SDDAC
Then was Shep [PF link], a cutie patootie lil black dog.Ok, not little little, he's about 50 lbs. Very sweet, terrible on leash with his scrambling and pulling, housebroken. Let me brush him quite a bit. Was mostly interested in sniffing rather than playing.
Photo from SDDAC
Then Gator, who bounces like his legs are pogo sticks when he's in the kennel! He stops when the door opens. He's also terrible on leash, pulling and scrambling around, but was fun in the yard. Playful, energetic, sweet. We got kicked out of the yard as staff needed it for potential adopters so we took a walk. He caught on to the idea that pull = stop and after a few minutes was doing much better.
Photo from SDDAC
Last dog of the day, I have no photo of. She came in as a stray and today is her last hold date before she's available. She had a sign that said Housebroken but I don't think she is. She was adorable. Very loving and sweet, just wanted attention and petting. Chased toys a bit but mostly wanted petting. Brown pittie mix. If I remember, I'll update tomorrow when they have a pic up.

No comments:

Post a Comment