February 9, 2014

Oh yeah, a blog!

I've been riding the high of seeing so many dogs adopted and rescued that I haven't been wanting to blog. I just feel awesome.

Sally was taken by a rescue a few days ago, she had been at the shelter since July 20th. She's doing very well in her foster home!




Frannie arrived at the shelter very pregnant. She was spayed. She also has a funky leg that has been bothering her, and after further examination it's been determined that she has to have it amputated. It was an injury that happened before her growth plates closed but since she didn't receive any care it healed incorrectly on its own. It's painful for her, and surgery cannot fix it. Without a foster home to recover in, the surgery has to wait, but waiting means asking her to live in pain and that also means her days would be numbered. Fortunately the Humane Society stepped forward and has taken her, and will care for her very well! Her leg will be removed, and she will receive all the love and care she deserves. Frannie is an absolute dear, one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. Belly rubs, belly rubs, and more belly rubs.
Photo from SDDAC


How GORGEOUS is she?!
 

Gunner was transferred to another of the county shelters and was adopted a couple weeks later, large GSP who is a lot of fun! Handsome boy, very nice.
Photo from SDDAC
 


Benny also went to the other shelter, I don't think he's been adopted yet which surprises me because he's so, so wonderful. Another very nice, friendly little dog that would be great for just about any home.
Photo from SDDAC

Crouton is still at the shelter, and is doing well. Considering he's basically grown up in the shelter, I'm amazed at how good his behavior is. I think he will need a very high level of management once adopted because he is so inquisitive and playful and I imagine he'd be destructive if given the chance, but with consistency, patience, and redirection he'd be wonderful. He's extremely playful so it's challenging to keep him busy. He's in a doublewide kennel and has a trough for a water bowl because he loves to play in water and kept flipping his bowls over- even the heavy concrete ones. He even has horse toys as they are more sturdy, and I brought my Buster Cube for him too. His fur is changing color, instead of being solid black he is turning more brown. I think it's pretty!






I told the husband that if I was looking for a dog right now, I'd take Wyatt. He's everyone's favorite. Everyone. He is calm, sweet, well behaved, perfect on leash, pleasantly friendly, gets along well with other dogs, he's the ideal dog for almost anyone. He was just adopted the other day!
Photo from SDDAC




Lidia was adopted Thursday. Every time I walked past her kennel she would bark, growl, lunge and jump up, and I wondered if she really was a mean little thing or if she was different out of her kennel. I had to know! I opened the door and she shrank back, cowering, head lowered, tail tucked. Immediately I realized she's scared, not mean. I let her approach and sniff me then got the leash on. She walked hesitantly about halfway to the interact yard before she stopped completely. I pet her gently down her sides before doing a test lift. She didn't struggle so I picked her up. In the yard I set her down, took the leash off, and walked over to the bench and sat down. Still hesitant, she sniffed around and explored. Eventually came over to me. She was loving getting attention and love. I grabbed a brush to work on her messy fur. She has a.. unique.. look to her so I wanted her to look her best! I noticed when carrying her that her belly felt dirty, lots of grit. I began by brushing her sides, neck, then legs, and at one point she rolled on her back so I was able to get her belly. I fluffed up her mohawk, carried her to get a Kong, and put her back in her kennel. Just then people walked by and admired her, and not 10 minutes later she was meeting her new owner!!
Photo from SDDAC
Check out that 'hawk!
 

I've spent a lot of time lately stuffing Kongs too. There are a whole bunch of them floating around, often forgotten in kennels. One day I got all the empty ones from all the kennels, which was an adventure in itself. The next day there I stuffed and stuffed and stuffed. Canned food wad/ball at the bottom. Layer of kibble. Another canned food ball. More kibble. Top with canned food. These are then frozen, and they provide good enrichment for the dogs. Something to do, something to chew on, something to challenge them and make them think and play and work a bit. It's often the only thing in a dog's kennel other than their food and water, so keeping the Kongs coming is crucial to their mental well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment