February 12, 2014

Shelter Journal 2/11/14

Cooper and a few other little dogs (7 total) are being transferred to the northern county shelter. Ours usually has 4x as many dogs as that shelter, and that shelter has great adoption rates so when they have room we like to send some great dogs their way. I really like Cooper, who is like a huge dachshund. He's spunky, quirky, has a giant bark, has the beefiest thighs you've ever seen on a dog that wasn't a bully breed, pulls super hard on leash which is why I had a harness put on him for everyone to use when walking him but after his initial excitement he walks better and he also walks great in more open areas where he's sniffing along. He does love to run too. He has what has been affectionately called a "stroke smile" as half of his mouth doesn't look and move the way the other half does, it's asymmetrical. He's perfectly fine though!



Photo from SDDAC

There first kennel row has been redone. It used to be gated off and was where "patrol holding" and "quarantine" dogs would be. Those dogs have been moved further down, and the first several kennels are now being used for the long-stay dogs. Currently our longest stay dogs are ones that arrived in August-October of 2013. The idea is 1) These are the first dogs people will look at, and 2) these kennels do not face other kennels so there is reduced stress. This includes Nina and Maypo. I got Maypo out today and he was fantastic! He was sitting very well, we played fetch, he didn't jump at all after a little hop immediately out of his kennel, and he was *so* good on leash that I took him for a walk.

"Oh, I think I blinked, can you take another?"
Maypo!!
Chewing a busted tennis ball

I also got out Kandy Jam. She is a white Great Dane mix, supposedly 2 and 1/2 years old but seems much younger to me. She's very calm and sweet, which is good considering her health issues. She has hip dysplasia, degenerative joint disease, and a couple other problems. Her back legs shake when she stands, and wobble when she walks. Despite all that, she is an absolute love. As wonderful as she is pretty!


To show her size, that's the blue bench I sit on!
 


Photo from SDDAC
I had hoped to have time to check out Lobito, who was relinquished by his owner. He's a stunningly handsome husky, rich brown color and a gorgeous mask. I snapped this pic on my way out and he's being neutered on Thursday so I won't be able to have him out until Tuesday, and we'll have to take things easily as he'll still be healing from the surgery. I can't wait! Something about him is very alluring to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment