April 1, 2013

Name of Dog Team

One of the Yahoo! groups I'm in has a lot of members that participate in urban mushing. Most live in Southern California, meaning the LA area, but I'm much further south than they are as I can see Mexico from my house. Ok, you have to go down the street as the view from our house is blocked by other houses but we are less than 5 miles from the border. We're *really* SoCal. I've enjoyed being part of the group but have not been able to participate in any of their mushing events because it's all too far north for me. Last fall there was talk of having races. Carting, scootering, bikejoring, (where the dog is pulling the cart/scooter/bike) and canicross (where a person is running with the dog). I was very excited about this and thought it would be great to go camping and race and have a fun weekend with new friends. The talk died down and the event never happened, why I'm not sure. I was bummed. About a month ago talk started again, much more serious this time. Hooray! Sign me up! Denali will not be mushing but Kaytu will be. Denali likes mushing but Kaytu loves it. It's like the difference between people who jog a bit for exercise and those who love to run and train for marathons.

The races will be April 20-21st up by Big Bear. Husband and I reserved a campground site a couple weeks ago. The registration form was released today, providing more details. Bikejoring- that's what we do. Check that box. Kaytu will be running 2.4 miles, costs $25. Check. Dog's name: Check. My name: Check. Name of Kennel/Dog Team: ???????

Well shoot. I need to come up with a good team name. I ask husband for help and he says I always come up with good names. Yeah but it takes me a long time to think of them! We started throwing words and phrases around, things that related to Kaytu. Her nicknames, like Flop Dog. Words we use to describe her like insane, growly, crazy. Thinking of her past and how she's gone from being an untrained street dog to the amazing girl she is now. We were liking team Flop Dog best but it was just a little too silly for my liking. I like silly things but wanted something more dramatic for a race.

I went to Wikipedia to refresh my knowledge- keeping in mind it's Wikipedia "knowledge"- of K2, the mountain she is named for.

Also known as The Savage Mountain. Has never been climbed in winter. Has a few other local names that are not common like Chhogori/Qogir, Ketu/Kechu, and Mount Godwin-Austen.

Then I read this:
The surveyor's mark, K2, therefore continues to be the name by which the mountain is commonly known. It is now also used in the Balti language, rendered as Kechu or Ketu[9][12] (Urdu: کے ٹو‎). The Italian climber Fosco Maraini argued in his account of the ascent of Gasherbrum IV that while the name of K2 owes its origin to chance, its clipped, impersonal nature is highly appropriate for so remote and challenging a mountain. He concluded that it was ...[13]
... just the bare bones of a name, all rock and ice and storm and abyss. It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars. It has the nakedness of the world before the first man – or of the cindered planet after the last.

Just the bare bones. Rock and ice and storm and abyss. No attempt to sound human. Atoms and Stars. Nakedness of the first man, and the cindered planet after the last.

How's THAT for dramatic? Now there were too many good words to choose from. Cindered. Atoms and Stars. Abyss. Rock and ice. And those first words.. Bare Bones. That's it. Bare Bones. Suiting in so many ways. She has her simple name. We have a simple setup, nothing fancy. And we're both skinny! The entire description offered by Maraini suits her. No attempt to sound human. Rough around the edges. Naked- she had nothing when she was found, and was emaciated and filthy dirty. Remote. She was distant and didn't pay attention to us at all when we got her. Challenging. We started from bare bones, in every way.

I do come up with good names, if I may say so myself.

Name of Kennel/Dog Team: Bare Bones. Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment