July 21, 2013

Shelter Journal 7/18/13

Whew, late on this one! I went on Thursday and again on Friday. Friday I was there to help do videos for dogs that had been there a while to help promote them which was really fun and a nice change of pace. It also involved doing dog-dog interactions and Kayla did well which is great because she's become my new favorite. Thursday the staff was also doing dog-dog interactions, specifically with the pitbulls. I was hoping they'd get around to a couple I've notice that don't do well with other dogs, like Stubby, who I started with.

Stubby was ok on leash, liked being brushed more, but was not doing well when another dog got anywhere near him. He was given a dog test on Friday and did not pass.
 
 

After Stubby I got out Beau [Petfinder]. He hadn't been out since July 8th. I got him out in a yard and he was adorable. He was a big dorky, goofy spaz!! Prancing around, pouncing on toys, flopping around all legs and ears. So cute!
Photo from SDDAC
Then was Kandy, a sweet girlie.
Photo from SDDAC
 After Kandy I got a little chihuahua. He was in the row with the big dogs and I like mixing it up sometimes! He was so, so sweet and I really liked him. He doesn't have a name yet. When I was scratching and massaging him in my lap he was loving it so much he was making happy whimper noises.


 
 
Photo from SDDAC
Next I got Millie. Millie had been snapping at dogs under her kennel door but hadn't been out lately. I'd be snapping too! I did some BAT with her which she did surprisingly well with. While still in the yard I'd walk toward the gate, and two other dogs were there with staff members being introduced. She was not barking or intense so I was not worried about her having an impact on the other dogs. We'd walk toward them until she "alerted" then I'd stop. As soon as she'd disengage in any way I praised her while running away toward the back of the yard, and she'd get lots of petting and praise. She loved this game and caught on very quickly. Overall she was a really fun dog, very smart, playful, silly, and also housebroken!
 
 
Photo from SDDAC
Last was Maypo, who is no longer with us. She was in pretty bad shape so I'm glad she got to have a decent last day romping around in the yard. I carefully brushed her a bit but mostly massaged her. She chased toys a little but was mostly starved for attention- and food obviously, and she did get lots of treats.


 
 
 
 

The videographer was first getting videos of cats so I got out Platty who is house broken. He's super adorable and cute and friendly. Love him! He has mange so isn't as cute as he could be but he's nonetheless super cute.

Photo from SDDAC
Some of the dogs from Friday included Kayla, Diamond,Louie, Peaches, and Bella. Photos from SDDAC.

Jaidyn is the go-to dog for interactions because she is very well socialized having come from a foster home while recovering from mange.
Photo from SDDAC
I ended the day Friday with 3 puppies. They are all kenneled together and since I had the help of another volunteer we were able to get all 3 out. It was so much fun! None have names. The black puppy and gray puppy are siblings, and the mostly white one (who was the sweetest!) was added to their kennel. The gray puppy has already been adopted!
Mostly white puppy
Photo from SDDAC
Photo from SDDAC
Black puppy kisses!
 
Photo from SDDAC
Photo from SDDAC
Blue puppy, already adopted!

No comments:

Post a Comment