October 8, 2013

Shelter Journal 10/8/13

Great news! Kayla and Gracie both went to Canada!! They are safe in a rescue and will be with foster parents until they find a forever home. I have been pushing for Kayla and since I met Gracie I really pushed for her too. So glad they both went! The email notice I got said, "by the way Bonita [the city where the shelter is]…I love your girls…you know how to pick them!"

All the housebroken dogs had been out today! I got Sally [PF link] out first for a minute anyway to get photos so a flyer can be made for her. Isn't she adorable?! Definitely my favorite right now, I was pushing for her to go to Canada too but there are only so many spots- 5 spots to fill from 3 shelters. Kayla and Gracie were extremely lucky.



After Kayla was Captain [PF link] who is also housebroken and had been out, but I don't know him so thought I'd have him out for a moment too. He was ok on leash, I honestly don't remember too much about him because I had so many dogs out today!
Photo from SDDAC
Next was Bindy, her kennel card showed AUGUST 25th circled. Seriously?! I hope to God that her September sheet was lost or ruined (typically each month get stacked up for the same dog, sometimes they get wet from cleaning kennels) but I have no idea. Poor girl. She was very stressed and anxious but also very sweet and loved to be petted. She's quite overweight but that didn't slow her down! We played fetch and ran around, then I did some quiet, calm massaging and helped her relax.

Photo from SDDAC

The volunteer in the yard next to me mentioned a kennel with a mastiff in it that had poo all over the floor, so I put Bindy back to help him clean the kennel. I grabbed a few poo bags. He had to be leaving soon so I got the leash on the dog and he said he would clean out the kennel. This poor girl is so, so skinny. She has only been at the shelter a short time and doesn't have a name yet. I hope to post an update on her when she looks healthier! I was pleasantly surprised with how tolerant she was, she let me gently hose off her feet and legs to wipe dried poo off.



I then went to get Forrest but he had been out on the 1st, 4th, and 6th, and the dogs around him hadn't been out in weeks. I picked Violet [PF link] without even seeing her because she hadn't been out in about 2 weeks. She was laying up against the door and I didn't peek in, so had no idea what she looked like until she stood up when she heard me unlocking her kennel. She has a lot of personality! She seems to be housebroken. She understandably had a bit of built up energy. Always on the move. Really fun dog.


Next to Violet is Dilon [PF link]. He knew sit, down, and shake, but started coughing and hacking so I put him back and turned in a medical form to have him looked at. Kennel cough is still going around. I wish I'd been able to have him out longer to take some good photos because he is so handsome! I love his face markings, a light cream color to compliment his tan.
Photo from SDDAC
Next was Shiva [no link] who also hadn't been out in a long time. She ran around, zoomies and zoomies and zoomies! She liked to be petted too.
Photo from SDDAC

Then was Kenny [PF link] who I had out several weeks ago at the request of another volunteer but he was sick. He's grown so much! I'm in love with his ears; they're fantastic! He knows sit, and I worked on teaching him to lay down. He's playful, sweet, funny, and will make someone a very lucky owner to have him.



Last of the day was Nina [PF link]. She at first had zoomies, running around all crazy with the joy of freedom and outlet to relieve some stress. She'd jump up on the bench next to me, wiggling behind me to my other side before jumping off again. Once she'd gotten the crazies out she would lean against me for petting, and melted in my hands.She's a *gorgeous* sand color and her eyes are beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment