October 21, 2013

Kong Genius: Leo

With Kaytu's separation anxiety I have been meaning to try to find a slightly more challenging crate toy for her. The classic Kong is a great toy for beginners. It's easy for the dog to spill out treats and lick out peanut butter and other gooey stuff from inside. Too easy for Kaytu now! Having an easy toy is great at first because a toy that is too challenging will lose the dog's interest and can even increase stress due to the frustration. I've mostly been giving Kaytu a bully stick stuck through the small hole of the Kong so she has to work at it a little to get it out. When I know she'll be alone for more than an hour I try to remember to put a smear of peanut butter in it too. Regardless, this is a super easy toy for her now.

I went to the local pet store to browse food-dispensing toys. There were a lot. All different shapes, textures, and sizes. It took me a good while to find one I thought was best for Kaytu. I chose one from the Kong Genius line, called the Leo which is apparently named after Leonardo da Vinci.

They also have one called the Mike (after Michelangelo of course), which can connect to the top of the Leo- and then another Leo and be put on the other side of the Mike too, and more Leos can fit into each other as well by putting the top neck part into the side or bottom holes.


Here's what drew me to the Leo.
1) It's not plastic. It's soft chewy Kong rubber which is bouncy and chewable. There are no hard or sharp edges that can hurt my dog- or my floors.
2) It's durable and should be very long lasting. It's not going to be easily chewed to pieces (by my dog) or shredded. It won't crumble, break, or tear.
3) It can hold both small and large treats. Kibble-sized treats and even smaller cut up treats can be put in, and it can also hold large biscuits, bully sticks, and other items. The smaller the treat, the easier it is to get out so I can make it easier at first then as she gets the idea of it I can use larger treats that are tougher to get out.
4) It can hold a lot. There are different sizes, but the medium size I got could easily hold more than a cup of kibble or treats and still have room for larger/longer treats.
5) It doesn't need a lot of room. Some interactive toys really require space for the dog to push it around, roll it, toss it, etc. but this one works well in the confines of a crate.
6) Decent cost. The medium size was $15.99 if I remember correctly.
7) It's expandable! As mentioned, you can connect it the Mike and/or more Leos to make it more challenging.
http://www.twobostons.com/products/canine_genius_leo_mini.htm#.UmTQERAlgmg
http://www.dogsgonegood.com/Food_Toys.html


Here's how I've been setting it up. Pretty easy for now. The first two times I gave it to her, I cut these treats up so each treat was in 4 pieces. Itty bitty so they'd fall out easily. Now she gest whole treats. I funnel them in through the top then "cap" it with the bully stick which I wedge in.


Kaytu's been loving it and it's definitely helping her keep busy while we're gone! The rope monkey fist at the corner is my "insurance" I've been using. I know when I get home that if it's not still in the corner that she's been digging and trying to get out. She never plays with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18u6GP7TTMo


No comments:

Post a Comment