October 3, 2013

Shelter Journal 10/1/13

Good news! Kayla was selected to go to Canada and Django has been adopted!!

First today was Shep [PF link]. Gator had already been out. I spent a good 30 minutes with Shep. Previously he's been very detached. It's hard to connect with him. He just walks around the yard, sniffing and peeing. Doesn't respond to kissy sounds, whistles, clapping, even excitement. Just ignores me and does whatever he wants. I did mat work, clicking and treating with praise when he stepped on the towel I laid by my feet. I was also clicking for eye contact and giving lots of praise and petting for that. The last 10 minutes he was pretty focused on me. I'd love to see this guy get adopted soon.
Photo from SDDAC

Next I got Sally [PF link] who has quickly become a favorite of mine. She is so incredibly sweet, has silly bursts of energy where she plays with toys (though she does try to dismember them), she knows sit and down, seems housebroken which is good because I abused the system and put her on the HB list without being sure so she could get out more, but she did potty today.

Photo from SDDAC
Next I went to get a husky (listed as a malamute mix but she's definitely a husky). She was laying down facing away from me. She didn't move when I started unlocking her kennel. I said, "Hey puppy" and made a kissy sound. No response. I looked closely... whew, she was breathing at least! I clapped my hands, and she still didn't move. Maybe she's deaf? I cracked the door open, still no movement from her, and tossed treats by her face. She was a little startled, sniffed and ate them then saw me. I lead her out and into a yard. She immediately started sneezing and blowing snot everywhere and her eyes were really gunky. I put her back right away and put in a medical form. She seemed very nice, she was awesome on leash, just sick today.
Photo from SDDAC
Then I got Forrest [PF link], who I'd seen other volunteers get out. Forrest was constantly jumping, wiggling out of his skin, lunging all over on leash, always frantic. He was excited at first, panting hard, spatulated tongue, pupils dilated, but in about 15 minutes he was like this:


Uh huh. Soooo hyper, can't you tell? ;)
Photo from SDDAC

A couple women were noticing as I put Forrest away and asked me about Maisy [PF link], a dog 2 kennels down. I explained I was not qualified to let them interact directly but I could get her out and they could watch her in the yard. I made it very clear that I couldn't allow them to touch her. They said that would be great. They actually held up their end and didn't even try to touch her. One woman said her husband would *love* Maisy and she took a few photos. She was looking ready to take Maisy but knew she had to have her husband meet her first. Fingers crossed for Maisy!
Photo from SDDAC
Last of the day was Harpo, a boxer [PF link]. Despite the gray on his face he is still very much an active boxer! Pouncing around, smacking toys with his paws, he was a lot of fun!
Photo from SDDAC

No comments:

Post a Comment