September 29, 2013

Mush Season!!

I'm beyond thrilled that the weather is beginning to cool down. That means we can mush! I had to take off about a full month of mushing. I didn't do much in July, only a couple times in August, and none until mid-September.

I've decided to keep track this 2013-2014 season through fall and winter to see how far my dogs and I go. We've run 3 times so far. September 17th for 4.6 miles with just Kaytu, then both Kay and Denali on the 21st and 26th to the dog park and back which is 3.6 miles. So we're at a total of 11.8 miles.

Each Wednesday I'm going to be at Rohr Park nearby to mush with the husky Meetup group. In a few days will be our first meet with them for the season. I'm only taking Kaytu but she's supposed to have a running buddy. The group organizer let me know of another member who has a fast dog but the dog has separation anxiety and needs another husky to show her the ropes. The owner will probably be biking in front of us and we'll follow her. I have two lines, one for running 2 dogs side by side and one where I can run up to 4 dogs, 2 in front and 2 behind the front two. I will bring both lines as sometimes running unfamiliar dogs side by side can cause friction so it may be better to have Kaytu running out front with Stoli hooked behind her. We'll see! I plan to do the entire 5 mile loop but it will depend on how Stoli is doing, I want her to learn to love mushing and if that means not going as far that's fine by me!

The weather should be perfect on Wednesday. Today was hot, tomorrow is supposed to be hot, cooler on Tuesday, and the high on Wednesday is only 73 and it's supposed to be down to 65* by 5:00pm and we don't even meet until 6:00pm. It's also supposed to be partly cloudy in the evening. Sunset is at 6:30 and there should enough light for maybe half an hour after that but the park isn't well lit the whole way around. We'll take it easy and have fun.

Mushing, Sept 26th

No comments:

Post a Comment