September 24, 2013

Shelter Journal 9/24/13

The last housbroken dog I got out today was Annie [Petfinder link], one of the dogs who has been at the shelter the longest. Since April 30th. I spent additional time training with her today. She wasn't interested in treats but *loves* tennis balls. So much so that she obsesses about them! I can use that to my advantage. I would hold the ball up near my face and wait for her to look at me and make eye contact before I'd throw it and praise her. The first time took several minutes. She sat, panting, eyes locked on the ball, rarely even blinking. A fast glance at my face and I tossed the ball as I praised her heavily, delightfully baby-talking her name and saying how good and smart she was. Then again.. and again.. and again.. by about the 5th time it was easily for her to look away from the ball and to look at me. She still has a ways to go but I think it's one of the best things I can do for her right now. She needs to learn to connect with people instead of ignoring them or obsessing about the ball. Great first lesson!
I took 3 photos that all look exactly the same!
She is VERY focused on the ball I'm holding.

I saw a kennel card that only had 2 days circled in September. This dog has been out just twice in over 3 weeks. I was prepared for a whirwind firecracker, a dog spinning and exploding out of control. Instead, Sally was an angel! [Petfinder link] She was good on leash, she didn't jump on me at all, seems to know Sit and Down. But mostly all she wanted was cuddles and petting. She was very calm but also playful and goofy, would chase a ball then toss it up in the air for herself, Chew it a little, paw at it and chase it again before laying down. Absolutely fantastic dog!








Photo from SDDAC


I had time for one more. Across from Sally I looked in disbelief and horror at a kennel card that said "August" at the top. Gracie [Petfinder link] had last been out on August 26th. She was very excited to get out and did a bit of spinning and lunging on leash. In the yard she ran and ran at first. I tossed toys and hopped around with her. Any touch and she would visibly shiver and flinch her skin from the sensation and she leaned in for more. I brushed her, gave her treats, and gradually she calmed down. I'll love to see how she is next time after getting some of that energy out! She was so sweet and playful, liked to step in the pool and even laid in the shallow water a couple times. She came up to me again and again for petting and cuddles. She's wonderful! On the way back to her kennel she was great on leash, she'd just had so much excitement to be out but by the time I put her back she had calmed down considerably.










Photo from SDDAC

No comments:

Post a Comment