August 10, 2012

Dog Parks, Pt. 2

[Part 1 here]

10.Unaltered Dogs
I don't know of any dog park anywhere that allows females in heat to enter. Unspayed females are permitted but should not be brought when in heat. The heat cycle lasts about 21 days. It is best to avoid the park during this time as other dogs may become aggressive with the presence of a female in heat. I recently went to the park and there was a woman there with 4 dogs. Before I entered she called out to me and asked if my dogs were female or male. I responded both were female. She said "Oh good, one of my girls is in heat so I have to make sure no unneutered males come in." Regardless, the female's scent was now in the park and it could potentially cause issues even after they left. It was no issue with my dogs but for the safety of other dogs and your own don't bring dogs in heat. A female in heat will no doubt be harassed by other dogs and it can be extremely stressful for her at the park. Keep her away until she's out of heat.

In my experience unneutered males are usually fine. If your dog is intact be on the watch to make sure he is behaving appropriately and in a pro-social manner. Prevent him from humping or challenging other dogs. This is important with any dog but in my experience it's been intact males who tend to start trouble as they can have some raging hormones. Again, they are usually fine.


11. Bringing Treats or Food
Most parks have a rule to never bring treats or food into the park. I admit that this rule is one that I often break, but very, very carefully. You never know which dogs may be food aggressive or start a fight over food. Food draws a lot of attention and tends to make dogs extremely excited. If you have treats in your pocket or your fingers smell like treats and a dog sniffs them out it can be nearly impossible for the dog to leave you alone. The dog may begin chasing other dogs away from you or "guarding" you, or attacking other dogs that get too close. Even when the dog does not become aggressive the owner can still get quite frustrated as they came to the park for their dog to socialize and run around, not to follow a person around and beg. The reason I bring treats is to reward my dogs for coming to me randomly or when called. The dog park is a great place to work on recall. It's best to do this when nobody else is at the park. I never bring treats in at all when the park is crowded because it's impossible to give treats without another dog noticing. I never give treats when other dogs are near or paying attention to me. Sneaky treats are the only way. I never give treats to other dogs unless the owner gives me permission. I never pull the baggie out of my pocket. I'm as quiet and discrete as possible. Sometimes dogs will notice anyway. In this case I turn my back to the dog and walk away. I don't say anything. I try to not let the dog smell my hands. I don't make eye contact. Ignoring almost always works as the dog will lose interest. If the dog is persistent I will present my hands, wide open, fingers spread, so the dog can smell and see that there are no more treats. If the dog still persists I will put the treats back in the car. I will leave if I need to since I am the one breaking the rule. I've never had to leave and I've never had any issues with a dog becoming aggressive. I am extremely careful to not let other dogs notice. The only way the other dogs will know is if they have a good nose.
Offering Kaytu a treat at the dog park- no other dogs were present.
You also should not bring a picnic lunch or snack or any food for yourself because it will draw attention from the dogs and could potentially start a fight. Dogs may jump up on you, drool all over you, or try to steal the food. You also don't want to drop or spill anything that is toxic to dogs, or have a dog steal something toxic. If you need to keep food with you for medical reasons I suggest you step outside the gate to eat so as not to draw attention.

12. Water
Some parks will have drinking fountains for dogs and/or people but others won't. It is very important to make sure your dog can get a drink when needed to keep from having a heat stroke. This is especially a concern for brachycephalic dogs (ones with pushed in faces) as their anatomy prevents them from panting effectively. If there is no water fountain or other source of water you need to bring a jug of water and a bowl. Be prepared to share! If there is a permanent bucket you should contribute by pouring in the water you brought. At a dog park I frequented last summer there was no drinking fountain but there were 2 buckets. I would always bring a large jug of water (or 2) to help keep them filled. When the water level got low I would swish it around and dump it to dump the dirt and slobbery goo out before refilling it.
Kaytu getting a drink at a water fountain designed for dogs.

13. Barking and Vocalization
Barking is a normal behavior of dogs that has a huge variety of meanings. Hounds like beagles will often bounce in front of other dogs and bark and bay in their face as a way to initiate play. Some dogs will bark while chasing or being chased. Some dogs will bark when new dogs arrive. It is expected that dogs will bark at the park. Incessant barking is typically prohibited by the rules of the park. Owners do not want to listen to it and it draws the attention of other dogs and can excite them too much or cause aggression. Do not let your dog bark nonstop.

14. Fence Running
The different sections for small dogs and large dogs are divided by a fence of course. This invites dogs to do that annoying stereotypical unhealthy behavior known as "fence running."  Fence running is when the dogs run down the length of the fence, stop at the end to snarl and bark at each other, then run up to the other end, bark and snarl, back and forth and back and forth. It's a horrible behavior that should never be allowed. Quite simply it encourages dogs to fight. Sure they are getting exercise by running but it's a very bad habit and unhealthy behavior. Personally I'm fine with allowing dogs to sniff each other through the fence but not much beyond that. Fence running can cause a lot of other behavior issues, including redirecting their excitement from the other dog to another dog running the fence. I have seen a fight start because the dogs got so obsessed that they redirected their frustration and excitement onto other dogs running the fence.
uplanddogpark.org


15. Playing Fetch
It's a dog park. Accept that fetch with your own dog will likely not be possible unless your dog is very focused. Other dogs will distract yours. Other dogs will take the toy. Your dog might not stay interested. Don't be frustrated when another dog "steals" your dog's toy or when your dog runs off to play with the other dogs. It's a dog park! If you throw a toy expect many dogs to chase after it and that you might not get it back. Don't bring a toy that you care a lot about. Sometimes toys get ruined.
sansanpups.com

16. Weekends
Weekends and holidays are one of the only times I really try to avoid the dog park. In my experience Saturday and Sunday are when the dogs come out that have been caged up all week with nothing to do. They explode into the park with neurotic mindsets and can't keep themselves under control. They bark at other dogs nonstop, harass them, and have no control over their bodies or minds. No, I'm not saying every single dog that comes on the weekend is a crazy dog, but in my experience dog parks tend to get overcrowded with too many dogs that have too much energy on weekends. It often doesn't end well. Be careful going to parks on the weekend or holidays. I've gone before with no issues but more often than not there are neurotic dogs there that start fights because they can't control themselves due to their insane energy levels.

17. Leaving the Park
Leaving is much the same as entering. You don't want to cause a scene. I prefer to call my dogs to the gate, let them slip through, and once they're both in then I go through, shut the gate behind me, and put their collars on in between the two gates. Putting the leash on while still inside the park isn't always the best idea. Same as when entering, it inhibits your dog's ability to move and be social with other dogs. I've seen many dogs who have the leash put on in the park and are then jumped on and wrestled with the entire way out. Not very fun for the leashed dog! Again, make sure only one gate is open at a time.

Enjoy dog parks. They are fantastic for human socialization too!

No comments:

Post a Comment