August 19, 2012

Escape, and Shock Collar Work

Another moment of terror. Kaytu got out. Again. The garage door was up and when my husband went out from the house Kaytu bolted out. She's been *dying* for a run but it's been far too hot. Part of her treatment plan in helping her to not run off is bike rides at least 3x a week but that's only been possible late night at about 9 or 10pm and even then it's often still above 70*. I heard hub yell "KAAAAYTU! OH, S***!" and the door slammed. I bolted out the front door to the porch and didn't see anyone but the neighbor lady clutching her little nightmare of a dog. Ran back in the house and grabbed my keys and peeled out, rolling all the windows down as I went as I know Kaytu has the urge to jump into the car (from her last escape at my parent's house not long ago). Lady was now around the corner, I slammed the brakes and asked which way they went. She pointed. I peeled out again. k2 has got be headed for the park, I figure. I turn toward the main road and there she is, standing calmly on the sidewalk with hub sneaking up on her and 3 cars in my way. One guy opens his door and gets out and tries to lure Kaytu. During all this I'm wiggling my way through a gap between the cars I never would have normally tried to fit through. Very surprised I didn't scrape. Kaytu sees hub coming up and blots again straight toward that busy 4 lanes of traffic. I'm fully prepared to run the red light to block cars. I blast my horn over and over, and Kay turns right, following the sidewalk. I scream KAYTU!!! as I get next to her. She cowers and I kiss to her. She starts heading up to the car.

Oh yeah, hazard lights. Better turn those on. She hops right into the back seat. I roll the windows up and pull further into the shoulder, and hub isn't far behind. He gets in and we drive back home. Kaytu's ears were back the entire way home. She wasn't sulking or sad looking, more like she was pleading. She looked like she was saying "I'm sorry, I just couldn't help it! I was so excited!!! I needed to run and explore! You're not mad are you?" She received no punishment or even a harsh glare. We loved on her and I strapped her e-collar on as hub was still going to be in and out of the garage for a bit. Hub told me that the neighbor lady had picked up her dog and was just standing there shrieking as Kaytu jumped up to say hi to it. Maybe next time you could grab a loose dog when it approaches you? My husband is obviously in pursuit and calling out, and you choose to just stand there shrieking like a fair maiden of olden days, completely helpless and scared? Puh-lease.

I haven't actually tested the level on her in a while so once I was sure she would feel something and had the collar tight enough and the prongs through her fur all the way down to her skin, I started bringing it up. 1/2.. nothing.. 1.. nothing.. up to 2.5 before she looked around and looked startled and made a really quiet whine. 2.5 it is! The other dogs were outside during this process, I wasn't going to risk her redirecting like "I felt pain, Nali is next to me, Nali caused pain, I'm going to attack Nali" because that's how dogs' brains work. I did some basic obedience training with all 3 dogs and also the cats and we chilled out for a couple hours. I then took Kaytu for a walk to get to a good park area for some recall training. She was wearing the shock collar still but the remote was off during the walk. She also had on her regular collar and a flexi lead. I like the flexi for shock collar training because it's so lightweight. With slack in it there's barely and tug on it at all. I want her (and myself) to feel like physically there isn't a tie between us, that it really is her choice to stay or go.

She was so calm on the walk. Focused. Stopped and sat as I'd slow down. Didn't pull. Didn't lag behind. We walked over to the park. We walked around the grass and she remained close and attentive. I was rewarding her generously with yummy crunchy treats during the walk and now for staying close to me and following my movements. Then I sat, she laid herself down, and I loved on her and had a heart-to-heart about why what she did wasn't a good thing and how scared it makes me. Belly rubs, ear rubs, paw rubs, and neck scratches as best I could with both collars on there.

She was so "soft" by this point that I didn't think 2.5 was an appropriate level anymore. When she was all worked up, 2.5 was what she needed. Now she was relaxed and attentive. I turned the remote on to 1. In previous training she's needed about a 1 or 1.5. I showed her I had no more treats in my hands. She didn't care. She laid there watching me. What a good girl. She's not going to wander off right now. Ok, backup plan. Usually I like to let her be wandering and not paying attention to me, then call her, zap if needed, and reward her when she gets to me. The zap starts when she chooses to ignore and stops the instant she turns toward me and starts coming. I use the continual button meaning the zap isn't one jolt but a continuous stimulation. She already has the foundation work and knows how this training works; the dog has to understand what you want before you simply zap it until it does what you want. What I was doing today is not the beginning of the training and is not the way to start training a dog with an e-collar. My backup plan was that I'd put her in a Sit-Stay and change it up between returning to her and rewarding her, or calling her to me. The first time I did a recall version she came to me. The next time, she looked away into space. Zap. She gave a startled face and jumped up a little and started coming to me. I turned it down to 1/2, the lowest setting (which admittedly is still enough to make my arm twitch a little if I hold the prongs on my thumb). We went back and forth between Sit-Stay-Come and Sit-Stay where I return, and I threw in some random obedience and tricks as well.

The idea was not to trick her or set her up to fail, that's never the point. I'd much rather reward her for coming than zap her for not listening. Sometimes we've done training sessions with the e-collar on and she never messes up and never gets a shock. Good for her!!! That's how I want it to be. The shock collar is NOT the primary method of teaching recall. The primary method is to teach her that coming when called = treats and all the good things in the world and it's worth it for her to come to me.

She got a total of 3 zaps today during the session. There were many more successes and rewards than punishments. On the walk home she lagged behind to smell and ended up about 10-12 feet behind me and not caring where I was. I took the opportunity to tell her to come, treats ready. She didn't listen. I did an instant zap instead of the continuous, still on 1/2, and she came right to me and got a bunch of treats. We had a very successful day!

I want to add that she does still randomly wear the e-collar around the house for random amounts of time. Usually it is not on. This is to prevent her from creating any kind of negative association with the collar on.

No comments:

Post a Comment