June 13, 2013

Shelter Journal 6/11/13 (and 6/6)

Sugar has been moved to a double wide kennel and has a new photo up, which is good. I've felt guilty about pushing for her when there are almost 50 pitbulls and pit mixes at this shelter and over 20 chihuahuas. So many awesome dogs deserving of good homes! Adding to my guilt, I spent around 2 hours with Sugar on Tuesday to see if that would help make a difference. But that means I was only able to get her and one other dog out. With Sugar I spent quite a while sitting on the ground. She laid next to me and I pet her, massaging her and scratching those hard to reach spots. We also played, and I took her for a walk. "Walks" to me are really about exploring and letting the dog sniff and have a little adventure. After the walk I put her back in her new kennel and she immediately stressed out. Panting harder, couldn't lay down, wouldn't take treats. I stayed with her and sat on the floor until she'd calmed down a little.
From June 6th
From June 6th
New belly rash! Extra itchy.
 

After leaving her in her kennel I got her a frozen treat and got out Misty [Petfinder link], who is just a couple kennels down from Sug's new kennel. I know her to be a dog always packed full of energy and she hadn't been out in a long time. We got to the interaction yard area and I tossed toys and played with her for a long time. I figured we'd play and I'd have her chase toys for as long as she wanted. Longer than I'd planned but she needed it! She had a great time in the pool. She would put a toy in, paw at it and splash, then take it out and put it on the rim.



Must collect toys!

My post for the 6th didn't include anything other than my concern for Sugar, so here is what I missed posting about! The first dog I got was a young shepherd mix. He's new and was visibly nervous so I took my time. I squatted down and tossed him a few treats, tossing them behind him so he wouldn't feel pressured to move forward to me. He chose to approach on his own, took another treat from my hand, and then rested his head on my leg. I got the leash on and lead him out of his kennel. We went a few kennels down and he panicked when a dog jumped up, barking loudly. He ducked into an empty kennel and went all the way to the back of it (I allowed him to "escape"). I sat at the back with him, which is the front to the public, and let him rest his head on my leg again. He was able to take treats. I scooted about a foot away. He stayed in place. I offered a treat and he took it and then snuggled up to rest his head on me again. And so it went, foot by foot, inching my way to the kennel door. When he seemed better I stood up and tried to lead him out. He backed up quickly and screamed and cried and fought against the leash. Back to square one, back of the kennel. Gave him a moment to calm down then went foot by foot, inching toward the kennel door, staying squatting and scooting along. Getting through the door took some time and smaller scoots but he made it out. Smaller scoots, actually going inch by inch, all the way back to his kennel. Poor guy! I made a note on his card that he is terrified and to just spend time in the kennel with him and not try to take him out.


Photo from SDDAC
Second dog was Sugar, see previous pics above.

Then was Teena [Petfinder link], and she is growing fast! I haven't had her out in about a month. She was great! Pulling very, very hard on leash so she really needs some work on that but she is playful, sweet, knows sit, is learning down still, and is a fantastic lil pup!

Photo from SDDAC
Sunshine [Petfinder link] was next! She was a sweetie, very playful and a bit of a wiggleworm. Tough to have her stand still for a pic.

Photo from SDDAC
Near Sunshine is Baby Sierra [no link], another pitbull. She seemed a little stressed and unsure about me but was fine. Playful, liked to be petted, and lays down in classic pittie style!

Final dog of the day was Ginger [Petfinder link]. Fun as always!! Had a blast chasing toys, me, and rolling around.



She has an interesting extra little fold on her ears!
 

I also notice that on 6/6 Davy is no longer on the list. Really hope he got adopted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment