May 1, 2013

Shelter Journal 4/30/13

I started with Cricket. Instead of cowering in the kennel she was bright and alert. She even tried to pull a couple times on leash instead of being glued to my legs! In the yard she didn't creep around but instead explored bravely. She was unsure when I'd get up to move around and didn't seem to like the brushing this time so I didn't brush her much. I found out her situation is just that her adoption fee has been paid, not that she actually has an adopted.

Britney was screaming her poor head off so I got her next. She was much, much easier to handle this time and much more calm once out. We need to stick a notice on the front of her kennel that says she doesn't bark like that once out!

There are dogs on either side of Cricket that hadn't been out in a while. I got Corinna [Petfinder link]. She hadn't been out since the 23rd. Sneaking into her kennel was a challenge and she almost slipped out. Thank goodness she had a collar on for me to grab! She did pretty well on leash, and when she pulled and I would stop she looked back and would walk nicely for a few steps again. In the yard she ran and played a little. She'll chase toys but not fetch them. Mostly she wanted to be petted and to get belly rubs! I really liked this girlie. She also has really neat colors and markings. The very tip of one ear is also missing- adds character!
Photo from SDDAC
On the other side of Cricket is Slim [no link][Petfinder link]. She was extremely sweet and lovey and was fantastic on leash. She liked to play and chase toys, and would drop the ball right back into my hand. I also spent some time brushing and petting her.


After Slim I went to see Sugar. I passed by a huge Great Dane that was barking loudly at me. A quick peek in the jumbo kennel and I saw why- a litter of puppies! Momma was being good telling me to stay away. She had only been there a couple days. I really hope they're trying to get a foster home lined up. A noisy shelter is no place to raise puppies. Way too stressful! I really hate people sometimes. [UPDATE: The mom and all puppies have been adopted]

Sugar was a bit more jumpy than she has been. [Petfinder link]. She was still fun to play with! Petting was more than she could handle at first without spazzing out but she did settle down. I don't think she's been out since her spay.

Trapper was next. He's doing better about not grabbing the leash but he still does it and it's kind of scary because he's so big and powerful. I made a note of caution on his kennel card that he does it, and to hold the leash close to his neck so he can't grab it. It the yard he was great!

Last today: Davy!! I'm really falling for this dog. Not in the way where I want to adopt him, but in the way where I'm going to be thrilled when he has a home of his own and I feel lucky to spend time with him now. He just has so much character! Mostly I played fetch as he has a lot of energy and wants to play but we did some training and petting too.



No comments:

Post a Comment