May 3, 2013

Shelter Journal 5/2/13

I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday so I've forgotten quite a bit of the details but man was it HOT yesterday! It was in the 90s. Due to the heat I only had a dog out for about 15 minutes before returning it to the kennel. I hosed off every dog to help keep them cool. I don't mean I just turned the hose on and blasted them with it. No, that's the way to make a dog hate the hose and cower. I turned it on just enough to have water flowing. I squeezed the nozzle and had water go into my hand and trickle down my fingers, so I'd pet while the water was on, and then slowly be able to use more water pressure to soak the dogs. The only dog that wasn't a huge fan was (no surprise) Cricket but I did get her a little wet. It wasn't something I was going to force on the dogs but the rest of them didn't mind, and seemed to really enjoy it. They all got frozen Kongs too- and even though I didn't get Trapper out today I gave him one as well. Also, the kennels have misters on the public side that were spraying the entire day. Great to help keep the dogs cool!

I started with Gomer [Petfinder link]. He was a gentleman! Great in the kennel, decent on leash, and in the yard he was a sweetheart. No jumping on me, no barking at other dogs, offered a few playbows and invites to play when a dog came into the yard next to us. He wasn't interested in toys at all and wouldn't even chase them but he liked treats and we did a bit of training. Great dog!


Happy! Back in his kennel with a Kong.
Photo from SDDAC
Next was Princess [Petfinder link]. She's listed as a mastiff mix but she's far too small to have mastiff in her. My guess is that she has some shar pei. Despite how scared she looks in her intake photos she wasn't nervous or unsure at all! Jumped up on me a little but not much. As with Gomer she had no interest in toys, but would take some treats. She was really sweet.


Photo from SDDAC


Photo from Petfinder

Next was Ginger, a boxer mix [no link] [Petfinder link]. Very playful, as you'd expect from a boxer, chasing toys, pouncing on them, shaking them, but she also had a very calm presence and attitude. She really liked the hose, happily standing still as I soaked her.






Rolling after getting wet!




Photo from SDDAC
Next was Lana [Petfinder link], a lab mix I've had out once before. She is always exploding with energy! She jumped all over me in the kennel (but not in the yard), pulled hard on leash, and was a total spaz in the yard. So much fun!! She really loved the hose, laying flat out on her side so I could cool her belly. After playing fetch and running around and getting all wet and having a good time she walked pretty nicely back to her kennel.
Low pressure from the hose




Photo from SDDAC

After Lana was Cricket [Petfinder link]. She was even more brave today. I didn't brush her much. We played, did some training, and I tried the hose on her but she was too nervous about it. No pics of her today.

Final dog today was Sugar [Petfinder link]. I had her out for about half an hour, totally losing track of time. She's doing amazing with her training; I've been working on manners more than basic obedience. She knows sit and is learning down but the jumping is a much bigger issue than having a dog lay down when told. I stayed in her kennel until she stopped jumping up on the door and was able to sit. She walked well on leash. I had her wait before going into the yard. Before a toy was tossed she had to sit. I rotated through 3 toys: a bear, a giraffe, and a great big giraffe with long legs and for some reason a santa hat. She liked the great big santa giraffe most. I worked on having her sit and wait patiently for the toy to be tossed or given to her, even if it was within grabbing distance. Be patient and polite! The way to get what you want is to sit calmly, not to jump up for it. She was overstimulated by petting today so I didn't pet her too much. She really liked the hose, I even had it spray out and rain down on her. I know she's been spayed recently so did my best to not get her belly wet and mostly spray her shoulders, back, and sides. On the way back to the kennel she didn't pull at all!!


Photo from SDDAC
Finally, a pic of the Great Dane with her pups. There are about 8 of them. I didn't want to invade her space or stress her more than she already is so excuse the poor photo. There is a sheet up on the public viewing side to give her privacy, and so there won't be crowds or people lingering or trying to pet the puppies. (I know it looks like she is growling but she's not, she was licking her lips).

No comments:

Post a Comment