May 23, 2013

Shelter Journal 5/23/13

Today I sought my volunteer mentor first. I knew that dog-dog tests were being done today so wanted to see what was going on. I found her mentoring a new volunteer. She said she wanted to try Flip [Petfinder link] and King [Petfinder link] together as play buddies, and King was already out so I went to get Flip. We introduced them and they were fine so we put them in the yard and took leashes off. They were playing great so Nancy stepped out. Then they were tugging on a toy. I instantly realized it was dumb to have not picked up all the toys first. King dropped it. Flip started 'oofing when King approached, I tried to distract them from each other, and Flip ended up snapping at King. It was all noise, no damage done, and very brief. They were not biting, it was mostly just Flip being loud. I was closer to King so grabbed him around the thighs and pulled him back (ideally I would have been able to grab Flip as he was the instigator) and then as I was grabbing for the hose (a spray of water is a great break-up tool during a scuffle) they stopped. Nancy had come in as soon as she heard the noise and she lead King out. The dogs were fine immediately after their tiff. The staff was then starting dog-dog interactions and wanted King anyway because he's such a goofy friendly dog. Flip is very dog-friendly too, it was just the toy that got him worked up. Flip is a volunteer favorite! King was adopted later today.

I kept playing with Flip, and the second dog the staff brought out was Sugar. I left Flip to watch. All the time, energy, training, and heart I've given her will be for nothing if she is not good with other dogs, and therefore not safe to adopt out. I tried to not be too nervous and give off bad vibes, and I ended up all smiles. She greeted King. Her body was still, but soft. She seemed a bit puzzled by his overly floppy play style, always throwing himself on his back, but they got along well and she never got worked up. They ended up playing some. She did great, especially considering she hasn't interacted with another dog in at least 2 months. Not only that, but the staff was so impressed by her behavior that they ok'd her to go to an adoption event this weekend. Woohoo!! This is awesome news for Sugar. If she doesn't get adopted this weekend I'm hoping to have a video made for her.

Another potential dog to go to the event was Ace [Petfinder link], a pittie I don't think I've had out before. I immediately knew he wouldn't be able to go because he pulls so hard on leash. Other than the pulling he was a fantastic dog though. Liked to play and chase toys, and also liked to be petted.
Photo from SDDAC
Next I got another one I haven't interacted with before, Dobie [Petfinder link]. He had tons of energy, having not been out since May 15th. He was moving constantly so I alternated between getting his attention to chase toys and just letting him sniff and bounce around. After getting some energy out, he was really sweet!!
 
Photo from SDDAC
Keeping with the theme I got another dog I haven't had out before, Indy [Petfinder link]. He hadn't been out since the 14th so he too was exploding with energy, and as with Dobie once he calmed down he was extremely sweet.
Photo from SDDAC
 As I had been getting Indy out I saw a scared little dog, so got him next. He doesn't have a name yet, and is listed as a shepherd mix but is so small there is no way he has any shepherd in him. Leave it to the shelter: anything black and tan is a shepherd mix! To me he looks an awful lot like a Manchester Terrier or similar. I went into his kennel and kept my back turned. He approached and sniffed my pants. I knelt sideways, hand down but not stretched out to him (don't extend your hand to a dog, they are dogs not people). He sniffed me more and was ok with me moving and petting him. I got the leash on and off we went. Once out of the row of kennels he perked up. He's only been at the shelter a few days, so I suspect being in the kennel surrounded by barking, screaming dogs and loud banging doors is terrifying. He pulled really hard on leash and kept choking himself and I did my best to prevent that. He ran all around, and really liked to be petted. He never held still!

 
Photo from SDDAC

Last, I just had to get Sugar! [Petfinder link]. She was very affectionate today, and though she did chase toys a bit she mostly just wanted to be petted. Hopefully she will find a family this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment