May 7, 2013

Shelter Journal 5/7/13

I stayed an extra hour today because agility class was canceled. The parking lot and field would have been muddy, and if the grass is wet and slick it's not good for the dogs to run on as they could slide and hurt themselves. So 4 hours at the shelter today! I was able to get out 10 dogs total.

Started with Charlie [no link], listed as a Labrador and Border Collie Mix. He was really sweet, and just look at those eyes! He knew sit and down, liked to chase toys and chew on them, and loved belly rubs.
Photo from SDDAC
 Next was Little Momma [Petfinder link]. Sweet as could be! Great name for her. Just wanted to be loved on and snuggle. Not much interest in toys.
Photo from SDDAC

Photo from PetFinder
Third was Duke [Petfinder link]. Awesome as always! He's starting to pull more on leash, and being at the shelter is making him bark and shriek more in the kennel too. I have no doubt that he'll be outta here soon though.



After Duke was Corrina [no link] [Petfinder link, incorrect spelling on PF]. She was a little spaz today! Very playful and had a blast running around chasing toys. She got her fair share of belly rubs too.
Photo from SDDAC
Next was Dakota [no link] [Petfinder link], listed as a Labrador mix. He jumped up a lot and had really sharp nails so I told medical he needed his nails done. It's not an urgent matter but thank goodness I wore a hoodie today so had sleeves! Other than the jumping he was great. Knows sit, down, and shake. Really fun dog! Oh, and those EARS!! So cute.
Photo from SDDAC
Soria [Petfinder link] is finally out of the kennel cough section so she was next. What a different dog she is! The dog I saw flailing, scared, and stressed brought in as a stray on April 2nd has certainly adapted. She had a blast chasing toys and was absolutely perfect on leash. She enjoys dismembering stuffed toys and chewing up tennis balls so I kept her interested in my red Kong ball once I noticed. She loved it.




Photo from SDDAC
#7 today was Flip [Petfinder link]. We had a lot of fun playing fetch! He's such a great dog. Really sweet. I love that the first couple pics I took make him look like a meanie! I noticed and took a couple more to show how he really looks.. funny what shadows will do.
Mid-sit, and he was not growling. Just a funny pic!

Looking fierce! Ha!

There we go!



Next was Sugar [Petfinder link]. She calmed down much more quickly once I was in her kennel. I noticed spots of blood all over the kennel floor but the only thing I saw on her was a little dried scabbed blood on her hocks. She seemed fine. Played well, I got her all wet with the hose (partly because she enjoys it and partly so I could look her over a little more easily) and she seemed fine. Just after returning her to her kennel I saw a medical staff member and mentioned the blood, and also mentioned Dakota's long nails. She took Sugar with her. I got Davy out next, and then when I was putting him back I saw the medical staff woman again. She said it was no big deal, Sugar was just in heat. Her vulva was full of blood. My heart sunk. "She was just spayed about a week ago." I really hope she will be ok because that is not normal. I'm really worried about Sugar.


So, Davy [Petfinder link]! He pulled harder on leash than usual but, as with all the other pullers, I simply stop walking and freeze when they pull. In the yard he was his typical happy self. He was a bit more calm than he usually is- but still very active.

Last was Annie [no link] [Petfinder link]. She wasn't interested in playing, but enjoyed being brushed. She was grimey so I didn't pet her with my hands much but she did love being brushed. Unfortunately she growled and snapped at a dog in the next yard so she's very not good with other dogs. Could be barrier aggression- many dogs react aggressively when there is a barrier or when on leash, but are fine when they have the ability to move and interact freely. Overall she was very sweet, and has beautiful eyes!


No comments:

Post a Comment