May 17, 2013

Shelter Journal 5/16/13

With the SA issue I'm having with Kaytu I forgot to write about the shelter! As I was getting ready and cutting treats up a volunteer asked if he could shadow me to see how I was working with the dogs. It was great to have someone interested! I explained how because the dogs were often so worked up and excited that I normally didn't do much obedience training but instead worked on things like not jumping up and how to walk nice on leash.

Started with Britney [no link], the screaming pitbull. As we walked to the yard there were potential adopters looking at Davy. I figured I'd take Britney for a walk instead so as not to interrupt them. The volunteer had something else to do briefly but by the time he caught up Davy was out of the middle yard. I wanted to give her some free time off leash so let her run and play until the next dog was brought out for the adopters (they didn't take Davy).
Photo from SDDAC

To show the progress that can be made without treats I then got Sugar [Petfinder link]. I was able to show the volunteer what to do when a dog jumps up in the kennel, as well as in the yard. I also showed him that by having 2-3 toys you don't need to ask a dog to drop one, you can throw it to distract a dog you think may jump up, and you also can use the toy to block a mouthy dog. Sugar did awesome today. She was a little jumpy in the kennel but she barely pulled on leash to the yard, she sat to have me throw toys, and was just fantastic.
Photo from SDDAC
After Sugar I got Hondo [Petfinder link]. I've never had him out but he's a big jumper. I was better able to show how I handle such an energetic dog. He is a lot of fun! Listed as a Staffie blend, possibly some French Bulldog with those ears and the way he smiles. Or maybe part pig!
Photo from SDDAC
I then got out a young dog but almost immediately noticed he had green snot pouring from his nose. He coughed a few times so we put him back and we took a medical form in.

Next was Coco [Petfinder link], a weimeraner blend. He's huge, very tall- and is not crosseyed despite how he looks in his photo! We took him for a walk so I could demo how when a dog pulls I stop. Coco started out pulling very hard and after a ~20 minute walk he was doing quite well.
Photo from SDDAC
I went for Cricket [Petfinder link] next to show how I work with shy dogs. She was fine with me but was pretty nervous of the other volunteer. He sat down while I showed my embarrassing method of doing hopping sidesteps and silly wiggly movements (it's not embarrassing to me but I know it looks funny) and how that warmed her up. We had her out for about 15 minutes before she finally went up to him. Bravo, Cricket!
Photo from SDDAC
We had time for one more so I got Soria [Petfinder link]. She's been out daily as she is housebroken. I saw some worrying signs from her. We know she's not comfortable when the leash is tightened; when you slide the piece that is slid down to prevent the dog from slipping out she's better if you do it on the side of her neck instead of straight behind her ears. But she was nippy and also guarded a toy from me. I filled out a behavior form for her. I dunked my leash and Kong ball in the antibacterial liquid and then spent some time in the office.

Photo from SDDAC
I turned in the medical form and chatted with a staff member about Soria. The guarding was so slight that an untrained eye would have missed it completely but it's something to be aware of. I also asked about Sugar. She's seemed fine when other dogs are in the neighboring interaction yards, has never curled a lip or charged or gone for other dogs that I've seen, but I asked if she'd had a dog-dog test. It's a crucial test. Dogs that fail and act aggressively toward other dogs are not safe to adopt out. I don't want to keep working so hard with her if she won't be able to get adopted. She hasn't been tested yet but is scheduled to be. I feel she'll be fine, I've seen her go nose to nose with other dogs through the fence many times and she is great, so fingers crossed!

I also have sad news. Onyx, the volunteer favorite, the wonderful happy boy that loved to play in the pool and do big polar bear slides and roll in the grass, had to be euthanized. He had been at the shelter for about 6 months and recently started attacking other dogs. Not being safe to adopt out and with no rescue able to take him (even this shelter is 45 dogs over capacity) the most humane, best option for him was euthanasia. He touched many lives and will be very missed.

Photo from SDDAC

No comments:

Post a Comment