May 22, 2013

Shelter Journal 5/21/13

Today I saw Cricket's name was not on the list. I was hopeful that she had been adopted but had a twinge of doubt. Sometimes shy dogs are unfairly pushed into defending thsemselves and if she had bitten someone that could have been the end for her. I had never seen the slightest hint that she would do such a thing. So I asked the staff, "Was Cricket adopted??" and their faces lit up. "Yes! She's in surgery right now," being spayed. Awesome!!!!!!! So long Cricket, I hope you have an amazing life!
Cricket the first day I worked with her.
Cowering, avoiding me, tail tucked, ears back -> relaxed, happy, and comfortable.
The first dog of the day was Slim [Petfinder link]. After tossing toys a few times I decided to brush her. Fur coming off in handfuls! It's been getting hotter and my dogs are starting to blow their coats. Seasonal shedding season has begun! Slim still has a semi-bald patch on her rump and loves rolling in the grass to itch it.

Next, just a kennels down from Slim, is Corinna [Petfinder link]. She had so much energy today! I've never seen her run so much, and she actually had butt-scootin' zoomies too. After getting that out she calmed down and wanted her usual belly rubs.

I went to the next row and got Davy [Petfinder link] next, after having such a fun time with Corinna. While playing a family came up, inquiring about him, how to interact with a small dog they wanted to see, and the young daughter was interested in volunteering. When they had gone I threw his favorite toy a few more times for him.

Then was Sugar [Petfinder link]. She walked with a loose leash down the row of kennels and then sat for me before being allowed into the yard. She chased a few toys and then I decided to sit down on the ground she was doing so well. She did great and didn't jump on me while I was sitting! I decided to take her for a walk. It struck me hard that I've been the only one getting her out since her arrival at the end of March and I have never taken her for a walk. She hasn't gone for a walk in 2 months! She was perfect on leash. She tried pulling a few times but when I stop she has learned to slacken the leash to go again. She had a lot of fun exploring!








Because Sugar did so well walking, I wanted to try a dog known for hard, crazy pulling. Lana! [Petfinder link]. From the moment I put the leash on, I didn't let her pull. We got to the yard so I could let her play and get some energy out first. Then we started on our walk. It was amazing how quickly she caught on! I ended up writing a note on her kennel card to not let her pull and stop immediately if she starts. Once home I made up flyers I hope to put up explaining how to stop a dog from pulling.

Loose leash!
Perfect!
 

I got another dog out that had "strong puller" on his card. His name is Angus [Petfinder link].
 After getting him out in the light I was shocked. He had scars all the way around his neck. Perfect size and placement for being the result of the inhumane, barbaric tool called a prong collar. I got him to the yard and boy, did he love to play! After letting him run and play for about 10 minutes we started our walk. It took about another 10 minutes for him to catch on to the game and start realizing that pulling does not work. After that he walked really well!






Prong collar scars

"What?! I can walk without pulling?!"
Photo from SDDAC
Here you can see how red his throat is from the prong collar damage.


No comments:

Post a Comment